If you're currently taking or considering taking a multivitamin with a recommended serving size of only one – or even two – pills a day, I believe you may be wasting your time and money.
Why? It's very doubtful that one or two tablets or pills can pack enough vitamins and minerals to truly make a significant difference in complementing your healthy diet.
Makers of multivitamins have come up with some pretty amazing ways to compress ingredients, but not to this extreme… not down to where a single tablet provides you the vitamin and mineral levels you need on a daily basis.
And speaking of minerals, many makers of one-per-day vitamins don't even bother including essential minerals like potassium or magnesium in adequate enough amounts to make it worthwhile.
What about other nutrients from sources like vegetables, fruits and herbs? Shouldn't they be blended into your multi as well? I certainly think so.
Before we jump further into all the nutrients I believe should go into a multi, let's first take a closer look at why all multivitamins are not created equal.
Some may in fact have little impact on your health, or worse, put your health at risk. So remember, you must be very cautious when choosing a product to ensure your multivitamin really benefits you.
But first, let’s ask the question that many have been asking lately... Do you really need a multivitamin? Doesn’t a healthy diet provide you with all the vitamins and minerals you need?
Our Food Supply in Jeopardy: The Case for a High-Quality Multivitamin and Mineral Supplement
These are outstanding questions... If you’re regularly eating an organic diet consisting of a large variety of fresh, raw food and pastured meats and eggs, you may not need a supplement.
I believe it’s always better to get your nutrients from healthy food that’s been carefully and thoughtfully produced.
However, anything less than that, and you may be a candidate for a multivitamin and mineral supplement.
If you don’t consistently eat organically food grown by regenerative or Biodynamic® farming methods, you most likely could benefit from high-quality supplementation. Here’s why...
Our non-organic food supply has changed drastically over the years. You can clearly see this in the graph below that highlights eight essential minerals.
Four factors have played key roles in declining food nutrient values, with significant drops in crucial minerals like phosphorus, selenium, copper, magnesium, cobalt, calcium, zinc, and iron:
- The start of mechanized farming in 1925
- The introduction of ammonium nitrate fertilizer in 1946
- The use of pesticides, herbicides, and fungicides starting prior to 1960
- The introduction of genetically engineered plants and glyphosate in the 1990s
As you can see below, these eight minerals were plentiful in food before the advance of mechanized farming. By the time genetically engineered crops were introduced along with the herbicide glyphosate in the 1990s, levels had dropped to alarming levels.
Where Have Your Food Nutrients Gone?
So how have these four factors so severely impacted the mineral content of food, you may be wondering?
The quality of your food can only be as good as the soil in which it is grown.
Healthy soils contain an immense diversity of microorganisms. These organisms are responsible for the plant’s uptake of nutrients, which in turn provide you with the nutrients you need.
The changes in farming in the 1920s, intended to make production easier and more cost efficient for farmers, initiated this nose dive on food nutrient values, thanks to its lethal effects on soil microorganisms...
Mechanized farming – or the use of advanced machinery – decimate these nutrient-creating microorganisms in the soil.
And since the soil microorganisms can’t replenish themselves in time for the next year’s growth, the minerals became depleted at a record rate and aren’t available for the plants’ uptake.
Conventional farming methods also rely heavily on chemical fertilizers, pesticides, and herbicides that can kill off the microbial inhabitants of the soil.
While the introduction of ammonium nitrate fertilizer stimulated greater yields in cops, it changed the chemistry of the soil in negative ways, leading to decreased numbers of soil microorganisms and increased pests.
Then along came the toxic pesticides in the 1950s... They effectively killed the pests and fungi, but they too had a lethal effect on the soil microorganisms. In effect, this crippled nature’s ability to provide the minerals needed for proper plant growth and nutrition.
By the time genetically engineered (GE) seeds and glyphosate were introduced, any minerals left were hyper-chelated and unavailable to plants except for the patented GE plants.
Is it any wonder we have little to no significant nutrients left in our food that isn’t grown through regenerative farming methods that specifically enhance soil quality?
As I said, if your food is not grown by organic and regenerative or Biodynamic® farming methods, it likely does not contain all the vitamins and especially minerals you expect and need.
Conventional farming methods do not focus on the nutrient quality of food. Rather, modern agriculture concerns itself with growth rate, pest resistance, and the physical traits of produce, like size.
Sadly, it’s all about faster, bigger, and cheaper...
What a High-Quality Multivitamin and Mineral Supplement Can Provide That Much of Today’s Fresh Foods May Not
I think by now you have a clear picture of why your food may not be providing the nutrients you need.
And it’s not only minerals that may be lacking...
A landmark study published back in December 2004 in the Journal of the American College of Nutrition looked at U.S. Department of Agriculture nutritional data from both 1950 and 1999 for 43 different vegetables and fruits.
They discovered “reliable declines” in the amount of protein, calcium, phosphorus, iron, riboflavin (vitamin B2) and vitamin C over the 50-year period.
Other similar studies have found significant declines in vitamin A and C, calcium, iron, and potassium.
According to an Australian soil scientist, conventionally grown apples have lost 80 percent of their vitamin C.
So that famous saying, “eating an apple a day helps keep the doctor away” may actually be more of a falsehood, unless that apple is grown in healthy organic soil.
All of these researchers attributed these vitamin losses to the same culprits responsible for the massive decline in minerals: Modern agriculture and its focus on growth, pest resistance, climate adaptability and physical traits of fruits and vegetables like size, instead of soil quality and food nutrients.
You need nutrient-rich food to build a healthy body and mind. If the soil quality isn’t there, you simply can’t expect to get high-quality food with the nutrients you need.
A high-quality multivitamin with a full array of minerals can help supply your body with the nutrients it may not be able to get from food, especially if it contains its minerals in a readily absorbable form.
How to Choose a Multivitamin and Mineral Supplement Without Sacrificing Quality or Putting Your Health at Risk
More people than ever depend upon supplements to help fill in nutritional gaps in their diets. According to a recent survey, nearly 68 percent of those polled take dietary supplements regularly, with 97 percent including “vitamins and minerals.”
However, in recent years there’s also been an attack on supplements. Some studies have questioned their benefit or even claim to show harmful effects from taking multivitamins.
Not all multivitamins are created equally, and I agree that for a supplement to be beneficial and not inflict harm, it must be sourced and manufactured according to the highest standards.
You must be very careful about what you buy, especially when buying grocery store or big box brand supplements. Be sure you’re buying from a reputable manufacturer that uses high-quality sources for its nutrients!
Trustworthy supplement makers have the right checks and balances in place for the procurement of materials and production to ensure a high-quality product.
Here's the stringent criteria that I believe you must use to find you a high-quality multivitamin and mineral supplement:
- Must be produced by a highly reputable company with the highest quality control manufacturing practices in place
- Must go beyond RDA (Recommended Daily Allowance) and DV (Daily Value) guidelines for certain vitamins and minerals – these are just minimums!
- Must include the added bonus of essential minerals – Many high-potency multivitamins lack important minerals
- Minerals should be absorbable – However, most simple forms of minerals are not highly absorbable – chelated forms are among the best
- The dosage must be high enough to provide adequate amounts – In other words, just one or two tablets a day are likely not enough!
When I first started my research for our Multivitamin Plus Vital Minerals, I was absolutely shocked at the low quality demonstrated by so many companies. That's why I researched for many months to identify what I believe are the absolute best supplement manufacturers in the U.S. today.
The labs I have chosen have very strong formulation experience with Ph.D. formulators, and a strong manufacturing capability, consistently following the dietary supplement GMPs.
Why Multivitamin Plus Vital Minerals Stands Out from the Rest
Two things make our Multivitamin Plus Vital Minerals stand apart from all the other: the sheer number of nutritional ingredients supplied in significant amounts, and the fact that we use chelated minerals – something that many other manufacturers don’t do.
Chelated minerals are minerals that have been combined with amino acids or other molecules to form bioavailable and more easily absorbed mineral complexes.
Some of the chelated complexes in our formula include magnesium, zinc, selenium, manganese, copper, potassium, boron, chromium, molybdenum, and vanadium.
Let's take a closer look at some key nutrients in our Multivitamin Plus Vital Minerals that are often missing from other brands or supplied in too low of dosages:
Calcium – To provide a high level of support for your skeletal system, I chose to include an optimum amount of calcium in the formula.* My main reason for doing this was that, as you age, your need for calcium becomes increasingly important for strong bones.*
Our Multivitamin Plus Vital Minerals formula provides 250 mg of calcium to complement your healthy diet – an optimal amount that I feel is just enough, but not too much. And the citrate, malate and ascorbate forms of calcium that are formulated in my product are more absorbable than mined forms of calcium such as calcium oxide or carbonate, which are more commonly found in supplements.
Magnesium – Scientific studies have reported that magnesium is helpful in supporting your lungs and pulmonary system, as well as your entire body. As you age, you’re more likely to be deficient in this important mineral. The latest research shows that magnesium may help protect your cells against the harmful effects of EMFs or non-ionizing radiation that surrounds us 24/7.*
Magnesium works with calcium and vitamin D to promote bone density health. It also helps maintain your muscular and nervous systems, and it helps support your healthy heart, and energy needs.* We’ve used magnesium chelate because it is more absorbable, rather than the more common and less absorbed magnesium oxide.
Potassium – This important mineral plays a key role in your metabolism and your body’s delicate balance of water and electrolytes. The regulation of your heartbeat, your muscle function, your healthy blood pressure, and nerve impulses all depend upon sufficient levels of potassium.*
In addition, research has shown that potassium is another important element in your bone density health. As you age, bone density and strength become important elements in your overall health.* The form of potassium used in our formula is a mineral chelate – again, a more absorbable form than potassium chloride.
These are just some of the important minerals that provide you with significant health-supporting value in complementing your diet.* They're part of the added formula that clearly makes our Multivitamin Plus Vital Minerals the optimum combination for you.
A High-Potency Antioxidant, Herbal Food Base for the Extra Free Radical-Fighting Power You May Not Be Getting in Your Diet
We didn’t stop at vitamins and minerals...
A truly outstanding multivitamin should also provide other important nutrients missing from our poor food supply.
To provide you with the extra free radical-fighting antioxidant power that may now be lacking in the food you eat each day, we added a highly concentrated daily supplement containing more than 50 nutritional ingredients all in a special herbal food base to our Whole-Food Multivitamin Plus Vital Minerals.
One of the challenges your body faces every day is combating free radicals.
Free radicals are highly reactive molecules and fragments of molecules that impact your body at your cellular level, especially your mitochondria, or your cells’ powerhouses.
Free radicals constantly attack your body proteins, carbohydrates, fats and DNA and can cause potentially serious health concerns unless they are kept in check.
Every cell in your body suffers an estimated 10,000 free radical hits each day. Your body does its best to fight back – in what is an actual battlefield at the cellular level!
To help balance the effects of free radicals, Whole-Food Multivitamin Plus Vital Minerals provides you with high-potency amounts of an exclusive antioxidant formula that includes:*
- Beta-carotene – Supports healthy vision and immune function*
- Vitamin C – Promotes tissue growth and repair, and healthy gums* This formula contains different forms of the vitamin C minerals in order to provide balance and absorbability.
- Vitamin D3 – Supports heart, bone, vascular and immune health* This formula supplies the preferred vitamin D3 form instead of vitamin D2.
- Vitamin E – Helps support your muscular system* Our formula contains the naturally occurring form of alpha tocopherol along with the other naturally occurring tocopherols.
- Selenium – Essential for immune function support.* The selenium in our formula is from an amino acid chelate complex.
- L-cysteine – Supports your immune and respiratory systems.* This is the bioidentical form of L-cysteine.
- Lutein – Helps promote your healthy vision.* We use a lutein extract from marigold and not the synthetic form.
- Lycopene – Supports your immune health.* We use a lycopene extract from tomato and not the synthetic form.
- Red wine proanthocyanidins – Provides cardiovascular support.*
If you recall, researchers have found that at least several of these nutrients have declined over the years in our food supply, including vitamins A and C, and selenium.
Whole-Food Multivitamin Plus Vital Minerals Provides You with Extra Nutrients from Vegetables, Fruits, Herbs and Green Foods
In addition to the outstanding nutrients already discussed, Whole-Food Multivitamin Plus Vital Minerals formula includes a health-promoting blend of vegetables, fruits, herbs and green foods.
We’ve included more than 2,000 mg of nutrients based on vegetables, fruits, herbs and green foods These nutrients work together to promote your optimal health in the following ways:*
||Your Body Systems Supported and Promoted*
|Red wine proanthocyanidins
||Urinary tract and immune
||Digestive and immune
|Green tea extract
||Prostate and immune
||Circulation and immune
||Nervous and tissue
||Cardiovascular and immune
||Immune and lungs
||Respiratory and digestive
||Circulatory and immune
||Vascular and immune
Including nearly 700 mg of a unique vegetable and fruit base, these ingredients further promote your optimal health*:
- Kale – Supports eye, skin, colon, heart and immune health*
- Spinach – Supports cardiovascular and immune health*
- Carrot – Supports vision and brain, heart and cellular health*
- Garlic – Supports gut health and cognitive function as you age*
- Radish – Supports digestive, respiratory and nervous systems*
- Celery – Supports heart, cellular and immune health*
- Apricot – Supports skin, gastrointestinal, liver, bone, cellular and immune health*
- Blackberry – Supports brain, bone and heart health*
- Cranberry – Supports urinary tract, cardiovascular, digestive and immune health*
And now we've added a significant enhancement to our Whole-Food Multivitamin Plus Vital Minerals...
We've Added What I Consider a Superior Form of Folic Acid to Help Ensure You Don't Get Cheated
Folic acid, or folate, an important member of the B-vitamin family, plays many important roles in your body. Folic acid:
- Helps maintain normal blood homocysteine levels*
- Helps nourish the brain and supports mood*
- Supports protein metabolism*
- Supports energy production*
- Promotes normal formation and functioning of red and white blood cells*
For folic acid to perform all of these crucial duties in your body, it must first be activated into the biologically active form – L-5-MTHF. This is the form that's:
- Preferred by your body
- More reliably bioavailable and biologically active than folic acid
- The only folate that can cross the blood-brain barrier to carry out important brain functions*
As superior as this form may sound, the one most commonly added to nutritional supplements is folic acid. And here's the problem: nearly half of the population has difficulty converting folic acid to the bioactive 5-MTHF form because of a genetic reduction in enzyme activity.
So if you have a reduced ability to metabolize folic acid, you may have less-than-optimal cardiovascular health. Using a 5-MTHF form of folic acid may help.*
And now you'll find 5-MTHF– instead of folic acid – in Multivitamin Plus Vital Minerals – just one more reason why this formula is tops!
Warning: A Multivitamin Overloaded with Nutrients May Do You More Harm Than Good
I'll be the first to admit that coming up with my own special high-potency formula was a major challenge – and took quite a bit of time.
This was necessary because indiscriminately throwing a number of nutrients together could actually cause more harm than good – a problem with many other high-potency formulas!
How could that be?
Well, certain amounts and types of nutrients need to be carefully measured to avoid potential toxic buildup once they are consumed.
The bottom line... not all nutrients in certain amounts work well together. In fact, a type of competition can occur between some nutrients.
So, much attention was directed to prevent this from occurring in Multivitamin Plus Vital Minerals.
Each ingredient in our Multivitamin Plus Vital Minerals has been carefully evaluated and selected for its:
- Proper nutrient balance – Just like too little of a nutrient does not provide you any real benefits, too much can potentially do you more harm than good
- Absorbability – The key to promoting your health is absorbing as much of the nutrient as possible
- Competitive relationship with other nutrients – A complex evaluation is performed by the scientists to make sure the amounts and types of nutrients work well together to benefit you
- Allergenic potential – Careful selection and measurement of the nutrient to investigate potential allergy issues
- Long-term safety – Any potential toxic buildup balanced out
- Proper use of the bioactive forms of the vitamins and minerals – All are naturally occurring when possible or bioidentical to those found in nature
- Non-GMO – All the vitamins, minerals and nutrients included in my formula are not genetically engineered
- Dosage to get the full benefits from all the vitamins, minerals and other nutrients – Don’t be fooled by products that claim to provide you with a multivitamin formula that only requires 1 or 2 tablets per day – you are not getting enough of the important vitamins and minerals
Introducing... for Women’s Special Needs... Multivitamin Plus Vital Minerals for Women
Our Multivitamin Plus Vital Minerals has been used by both men and women for many years.
However, I like to stay abreast of research that makes a strong case for more or less of a particular nutrient. For that reason, we’ve decided to make a few minor changes in the traditional formula, and create Multivitamins Plus Vital Minerals for Women.
Here are the changes we’ve made for this new women's formula:
Double the amount of Folate (in the preferred form of 5-MTHF)
Certain groups of women may be at risk for insufficient folate intakes, and especially any woman of childbearing age. Folate is also essential for healthy cell growth.*
Folate deficiencies in women are on the rise, and folate deficiencies can lead to elevated homocysteine levels, which can be a major contributing factor to heart disease.
Increase in Choline
Choline is important for healthy liver function and absolutely essential for any woman of childbearing age as it also plays a key role in the fetal development of the brain and nervous system.*
Choline was only defined as an essential nutrient in 2017, and up to 90 percent of the U.S. population isn’t getting enough. Choline is mostly found in meats, which women tend to eat less of. Choline has been shown to have positive effects on the brain and mood.*
Removed the grasses to make it gluten-free
You’ll no longer find wheat grass and barley grass powders, making this a totally GF formula!
Plus, I created a Special Blend, just for women’s health…
My Bonus Special Blend for Women’s Health… Supports Your Skin, Hair, Nails, Breasts, Hormones and Your Heart
Women have needs that are different from men’s and children’s, so that’s why I formulated a multivitamin just for them.
To create my bonus Special Blend, I choose botanicals that have been shown to benefits women’s health:
- Cranberry and D-mannose – Supports vaginal and urinary tract health*
- Red Clover – Supports heart health and healthy normal hormone levels. May be beneficial for symptoms of PMS and menopause*
- Shatavari Root Extract (Asparagus racemosus) – Supports reproductive health and already balanced hormones*
- Grape Skin Extract – Potent antioxidant benefits supports heart and skin health*
- DIM (Diindoylymethane) – Supports healthy estrogen metabolism and breast health*
- Evening Primrose Oil – Supports skin, hair and nail health as well as aiding in symptoms of PMS*
From your teens into your older years, no matter your age, my Special Blend provides valuable support for your overall health.* And especially for those seeking extra relief for PMS and menopausal symptoms, you’ll find it in my Multivitamin Plus Vital Minerals for Women.
Order the High-Potency Multivitamin Designed to Help Fill the Nutritional Gaps in Today’s Food Supply
Ideally, you could get everything you need from your diet. And while I believe that may still be the case for food grown by organic and regenerative or Biodynamic® farming methods, it’s probably not true for much of today’s food.
So when shopping for a multivitamin with minerals, don't be fooled by the amounts of nutrients added to the formula, a super low cost (may be a red flag for poor quality and questionable sources of nutrients) or Daily Value (DV) claims by the manufacturer.
This information can be misleading. For some vitamins and minerals, the daily values may be far too low for optimal health. You could be not only wasting your time and money but not taking proper control of your health as well.
Here’s how our high-potency Whole-Food Multivitamin Plus Vital Minerals stands apart from the others:
- Each daily serving supplies more than 2,000 mg of nutrients, including essential vitamins and minerals.
- Many of the minerals are in chelated form for enhanced absorption.*
- It provides the biologically active form of folate – L-5-MTHF – that's preferred by your body, as it's the only form that can cross your blood-brain barrier to carry out important brain functions.*
- It contains more than 50 nutritional ingredients in a special herbal food base, including hard-to-find ingredients like spirulina, green tea extract, red wine proanthocyanidins, citrus bioflavonoids, lycopene, chlorella and trace elements from red seaweed.
- It contains Dr. Mercola’s special fruit and vegetable blend for extra free radical-fighting antioxidant power, including kale, spinach, cauliflower, broccoli, celery, carrot, beet, radish, garlic, blueberry, blackberry, cranberry and apricot.*
Both of our Multivitamin Plus Vital Minerals and Multivitamin Plus Vital Minerals for Women contain a complete suite of balanced vitamins and essential minerals, and the manufacturer that produces them adheres to the strictest quality standards.
Just compare a single bottle of either of our Multivitamin Plus Vital Minerals to all the different supplements you'd have to purchase separately to get the same ingredients in similar dosages. The cost of all those separate supplements could be more than double your investment in these complete formulas.
Think of Whole-Food Multivitamin Plus Vital Minerals or Whole-Food Multivitamin Plus Vital Minerals for Women as part of your healthy food budget and not necessarily a supplement. After all, we worked closely with the lab to design these formulas to complement your diet – not to be separated from it.
For Travel and Convenient Daily Use... Choose our Multi Daily Packs
The recent addition to our multivitamin family, Whole-Food Multivitamin Daily Packs, makes it even easier for you to get the vitamins and minerals you need on a daily basis. They’re perfect for travel and daily use, providing…
- Convenient, easy-to-use, side-by-side individually wrapped packets in a box for morning and evening daily dosing.
- The same wholefood concentrates, essential vitamins, minerals, carotenoids, bioflavonoids, amino acids, enzymes and herbs per tablet dosage levels as our Whole-Food Multivitamins in a bottle.
- Eco-friendly packaging made from biodegradable, compostable cellulose, which provides an excellent moisture barrier.
Just like our Whole-Food Multivitamin, our Whole-Food Multivitamin Daily Packs include:
- Over 2,000 mg of nutrients in each daily serving.
- The biologically active form of folate – L-5-MTHF – that's preferred by your body, as it's the only form that can cross your blood-brain barrier to carry out important brain functions.*
- More than 50 nutritional ingredients in a special herbal food base, including hard-to-find ingredients like spirulina, red wine proanthocyanidins, citrus bioflavonoids, lycopene, chlorella and trace elements from red seaweed.
- Dr. Mercola’s special fruit and vegetable blend for extra free radical-fighting antioxidant power, including kale, spinach, cauliflower, broccoli, celery, carrot, beet, radish, garlic, blueberry, blackberry, cranberry and apricot.*
When convenience matters, choose our Whole-Food Multivitamin Daily Packs.
Whether You’re a Man or a Woman, We’ve Got Your Basic Nutritional Needs Covered
For your convenience, we’ve created a Multivitamin Pack for Men and a Multivitamin Pack for Women to help you meet your basic nutritional needs.
Since heart health is a leading concern among men, we’ve added L-Arginine Advanced for cardiovascular health support to the Men’s Pack. We’ve also added Saw Palmetto with Lycopene for men’s prostate health.*
In the Women’s Pack, we’ve included Lignans with Lycopene, an additional hormonal balance support supplement that not only provides nutrients to help protect breasts against normal everyday stressors, but is also clinically proven to reduce the frequency and severity of hot flashes.*
And for women’s thyroid health, the Women’s Pack includes Iodine to support your healthy thyroid function since women are at a greater risk for thyroid issues.*
Whichever pack is best for you, when you make our Whole-Food Multivitamin Plus Vital Minerals or our Whole-Food Multivitamin Plus Vital Minerals for Women a part of your daily routine, I sincerely believe that you're taking an important step in complementing and optimizing your diet.
So, order yours now and start to Take Control of Your Health™.