Think about it. Over your lifetime, on average, you’ll likely spend about 26 years sleeping in your bed. And that doesn’t include any of the other time you may spend there.
For the reasons you’re about to see, the mattress you’re sleeping on may be one of the most neglected – and overlooked – aspects of your health, in ways you might not even realize.
Go ahead and ask yourself… Do you know what you are sleeping on – really?
Do you know what your skin is absorbing and your lungs are inhaling during the precious one-third of your life?
The mattress you relax on each night may be giving you more than you expect or want.
Big Tobacco’s Fingerprints: All Over Your Mattress?
Decades ago, cigarette manufacturers came under the gun for their smoldering cigarettes that were starting house fires and killing people.
Their solution? Make household furnishings – and mattresses – less flammable!
That was the beginning of strict laws requiring the addition of flame-retardant chemicals to all upholstered furniture and bedding products in the state of California. Over the years, manufacturers started adding them to all mattresses sold in the U.S.
Fast forward to July 1, 2007… All U.S. mattresses are now required to meet flame retardant standards.Some of the most common chemical fire retardants used today are brominated fire retardants (BFRs), and, before 2005, PBDE chemicals (polybrominated diphenyl ethers).
Unfortunately, these toxic chemicals are the least expensive way for mattress manufacturers to meet fire standard requirements.
PBDEs have been detected in 97% of Americans.
The good news is you likely won't find PBDEs in newer foam products as they were banned in the mid-2000s.
But the bad news is the chemicals that have replaced them may be just as bad!
For example, organophosphate flame retardants (OPFRs) are frequently found in conventional mattresses. Some OPFRs have been identified as known or suspected carcinogens or neurotoxic substances.
Beware of Green-Washed Mattresses
Many companies today strive to be “green” – or at least want you to think they are concerned about your health.
And mattresses are no exception… You’ll see labels that say “green” or “eco”, implying these mattresses are safer for you to sleep on.
“Green” or not, all manufacturers are required to meet strict standards for flammability.
Mattresses must meet the Federal mattress standard, 16 CFR 1633 that requires the finished mattress be able to withstand a severe and lengthy open flame ignition test.
So how do mattress manufacturers meet the standards?
Many use barrier materials such as fire-resistant fiber batting or boric acid treated cotton fiber wrapped around the mattress foam.
Boric acid has become a standard method for reducing the flammability of cotton. Boric acid is used as a pesticide and insecticide.
It’s hardly a substance you want to sleep on at night!
Keep in mind… Since mattresses don’t need to be labeled as to what’s in them, you only have trust to go on.
If They’re Not Safe For You, What About Your Precious Newborn?
If the potential health concerns of flame retardants are of concern to you, what about their potential effects on developing bodies? These chemicals show up frequently in products marketed for babies.
In one study, 80 percent of samples collected from 101 baby products, including car seats, baby carriers and portable mattresses, contained fire retardants.
More Than Just Flame Retardants…
If I haven’t yet raised the red flag high enough to caution you about laying your newborn – or your child – down to rest on their crib mattress or nap mat, now there’s even more reason for concern…
A new study by a leading university took a closer look at the foam from 20 new and old crib mattresses.
The conventional crib mattresses were found to release up to 30 different types of volatile organic compounds, or VOCs in significant amounts -- and new crib mattresses released four times as many fumes as old mattresses!
Consider purchasing an organic mattress for your infant or toddler. It does cost more than a non-organic mattress, but isn’t your child worth it?
To be sure you’re getting a healthier pad or mattress without questionable chemicals, look for ones certified non-toxic and organic to the GOTS standard and certified for emissions to the GREENGUARD Gold standard.
Cotton: Not the Fiber You’ve Been Told It Is
What about cotton – one of the most widely used materials in bedding today?
First, there’s a major difference between regular cotton and organic cotton.
Here are some facts you may not know about conventionally grown cotton:
- Cotton farming takes up only about 3 percent of the world’s total farmland, but uses 25 percent of the world's chemical pesticides and fertilizers
- Each acre of cotton harvested every year in the U.S. is sprayed with an average of 13 pounds of pesticides, herbicides, and defoliants
- The World Health Organization classifies half of cotton crop chemicals each year as “hazardous”
- Toxic defoliating chemicals are used to harvest the cotton
And this long list doesn’t even include the billions of pounds of synthetic fertilizers used for cultivating cotton. The runoff from these fertilizers can create aquatic "dead zones" in waterways, killing off species of aquatic life.
Organic Cotton: One of Nature’s Greatest Gifts
Organic cotton is the purest form of cotton, grown without synthetic pesticides, herbicides, fertilizers, and defoliants and is grown without genetically modified organisms (GMOs).
Organic-certified farmers grow organic cotton with the help of natural fertilizers, beneficial insects, and innovative weeding techniques. These systems, at the same time, replenish and help maintain soil fertility while enhancing biodiversity that protects air and water.
In mattresses, organic cotton provides a better alternative to chemically-treated foams. Organic cotton mattresses not only provide a sleeping environment without toxic chemical additives, they’re comfortable to sleep on as well.
Latex: By The Time It’s Finished, Every Drop Isn’t Equal
Latex is created from the sap of the rubber tree, typically grown in Indonesia, Sri Lanka, Malaysia, and Thailand.
Latex is biodegradable, and because the rubber for latex is tapped from the trees rather than requiring them to be harvested, it’s considered a sustainable industry.
Truly a win-win industry, a 12-acre plantation of 2,500 rubber trees can remove 143 metric tons of carbon dioxide from the environment each year. And a single tree yields latex for 30 years.
Latex certified to the Global Organic Latex Standard (GOLS) assures that the latex sap comes from certified organic rubber plantations. In addition, GOLS also maintains standards for human rights and worker safety.
The best use of latex is for comfort, and when combined with encased coils as support it makes for an incredibly comfortable mattress.
How Do You Know If Your Organic Mattress is Really Organic?
By now you’re likely realizing the importance of an organic mattress made without chemical flame retardants. But how can you tell if you’re getting the “real deal”? Make sure it’s from a company you can trust.
Dr. Mercola’s Healthy Home Certified Organic mattresses and bedding products are manufactured for us by Naturepedic, a company known for organic integrity and inventive designs.
Naturepedic mattresses not only pass flammability standards without chemical flame retardants, they are also third-party certified. Below are a few of Naturepedic’s certifications.
||The Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS) demonstrates organic and non-toxic product integrity through third party certification. Dr. Mercola’s Healthy Home Certified Organic mattresses are certified in their entirety.
||The Organic Content Standard (OCS100) ensures proper tracking of organic cotton from its source to the finished product.
||The Global Organic Latex Standard (GOLS) certifies organic latex and requires standards of worker health & safety and environmental stewardship.
||The GREENGUARD® Gold standard ensures products meet standards for low emissions of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) into indoor air.
Even more, Naturepedic is an active member and supporter of various organizations including Organic Consumers Association, Organic Trade Association, American Sustainable Business Council, Specialty Sleep Association, Sustainable Furnishings Council, and others.
With Dr. Mercola’s Healthy Home Certified Organic Mattresses and bedding made by Naturepedic, you know you are getting the real deal.
Take Control Over Your Sleeping Comfort with Dr. Mercola’s Ultimate Organic Sleep System
The Ergonomic Organic Sleep, or EOS, Mattress Sleep System™, made by Naturepedic®, offers an innovative, luxurious, and practical approach to mattress design.
Its multi-layered zippered construction allows you to customize the support layers in your mattress, and you can even alter the feel of your mattress as your comfort needs change over time.
With a range of materials and firmness levels, the EOS organic mattress offers a truly customized and flexible mattress experience.
The EOS support consists of two component layers – conveniently called the comfort layer and the support layer.
Here’s a cutaway diagram of an EOS mattress:
Fire Protection – Without the Dangerous Chemicals
As I said earlier, the primary filling material used in most conventional mattresses is polyurethane foam - a highly flammable petroleum-based material.
Because of its high flammability, polyurethane foam must be treated or wrapped with fire retardant chemicals, creating the health and toxicity concerns I talked about earlier.
With my Healthy Home Organic mattresses and bedding products, you’re not exposed to any flame retardant chemicals.
Instead, my mattresses provide fire protection with superior product design and better materials. Organic cotton is significantly less flammable by nature.
This unique and innovative approach provides a simple and elegant solution allowing these mattresses and bedding products to meet all Federal and State flammability standards – without the use of dangerous chemicals!
Picking Your Dream Mattress – It’s As Easy As 1-2-3!
Congratulations! You’re only 3 simple steps away from picking the mattress that’s just right for you!
First, pick your SIZE.
What do you sleep on now? What size would you like to sleep on?
Is your dream mattress a King, Queen, Full/Double, or Twin?
Second, what do you want your mattress to FEEL like?
Do you prefer firm support or do you like the feeling of sinking into a plush cloud? You can have whatever you want by choosing Firm, Cushion-Firm, or Plush:
- Firm Support – For a more supportive mattress base and firm feel. This support layer uses firm coils and the comfort layer has a medium feel.
- Cushion-Firm Support – For a softer comfort feel with firm coils. This support layer uses firm coils and the comfort layer has a plush feel.
- Plush Support – For a plush feel with more depth and less resistance. The extra “give” offers deep down cradling, allowing you to sleep in the bed instead of on the bed. This support layer uses plush coils and the comfort layer has a soft feel.
Third, do you prefer a mattress WITH ORGANIC LATEX or WITHOUT?
You have two choices for your 3” Comfort Layer:
- Organic Latex makes an excellent top or comfort layer as it contours to your body, helps relieve pressure points and provides luxurious comfort.
Our organic latex is made by harvesting latex sap from a rubber tree, then curing it into a comfortable foam.
The finished foam is certified to the Global Organic Latex Standard (GOLS) and is wrapped in GOTS certified organic cotton fabric.
- Comfort Without Latex is provided by a double layer of premium heat-tempered microcoils.
They’re assembled using ultrasonic sealing WITHOUT adhesives or glues and individually wrapped for full body-contouring comfort.
Provides excellent support, isolation of movement, pressure point relieving comfort, heat dissipation and breathability.
Whichever of the two options you choose, your mattress height with support and comfort layers combined will be 12 inches.
All of our mattresses are proudly made in the USA with domestic components, US-grown organic cotton filling, and imported fabrics and components.
Can’t Decide? We’re Here to Help…
Can’t decide which option you want – Latex or Microcoils? Here are some quick points to help you decide.
Questions? Call Customer Service today and they’ll help you select the option that’s right for you.
Not What You Expected? Want it Harder… Softer?
No Problem – Just Swap It!
Buying a mattress can feel like an overwhelming task. If you’re like most people, you may be wondering… How will it feel to actually sleep on? What if I don’t make the right choice?
After all, an organic mattress is a big investment!
We’ve taken the uncertainty and risk out of your decision-making. With our Free Layer Swap Program, you can swap out your comfort layer for FREE within 90 days. You only have to pay for shipping.
Decide you don’t like the feel of latex? Swap it for a micro-coil comfort layer.
Want a firmer feel? Swap your soft latex or microcoil comfort layer for medium latex or microcoils.
With our free layer swap program, you can make sure you get it right for you!
And because Dr. Mercola’s Healthy Home mattresses use the revolutionary concept of customization, even after 90 days, you have the freedom to replace layers to change the support or comfort of your mattress.
Your needs can and do change over time, so it only makes sense that your mattress can change with you! To swap out your mattress, please call 1-877-985-3926 to get started.
Don’t Make This Common Mistake – Protect Your Investment Today
Life happens. Kids… dogs… cats… illness… Even one spilled cup of coffee leaves behind a reminder that you can regret for years.
You’re investing in a high-quality mattress system that you will have for a long, long time. Why not protect it with a Healthy Home Organic Mattress Protector Pad?
Waterproof and breathable, our Organic Mattress Protector Pads offer many features and benefits not found in traditional mattress pads:
- Two layers of stretch knit organic cotton fabric provide maximum comfort and flexibility
- Highly absorptive and extra soft
- Ultra-thin waterproof barrier in center
- Blocks dust mites and other allergens
- Fitted design with organic cotton skirt and full elastic perimeter
- Machine washable and dryable
- NO Vinyl/PVC, phthalates, or latex rubber
- Fits mattresses up to 12”
Sleep comfortably with the assurance that your mattress is fully protected without the use of harmful, toxic chemicals.
The Organic Mattress Protector Pad is available in Twin, Full, Queen, and King.
Nothing Will Ever Come Closer to You Than This While You Sleep…
You’re all set to go with a brand new organic mattress system. Don’t forget the pillows!
A truly great pillow requires a soft surface for comfort and the right kind of support for proper structural alignment. And, of course, no toxins or harsh chemicals to breathe in or come in contact with while you sleep.
Dr. Mercola’s Healthy Home Pillow with Organic Cotton Fabric combines a luxurious outer 300-thread count organic cotton fabric with a super resilient potato based PLA batting.
Also known as polylactide, PLA is created from plants, primarily non-GMO potatoes.
PLA performs well in the wash and provides a soft and comfortable feel. It wicks away moisture and resists body impressions. Our manufacturer’s PLA has been tested for chemical emissions and meets the GREENGUARD Gold standard. Of course it contains no chemical flame retardants.
PLA is a sustainable alternative to petroleum-derived products with excellent comfort attributes.
Machine washable and dryable at cold temperatures only, this standard size pillow measures 20 by 26 inches.
A Better Way For Your Baby or Child to Sleep and Play
Just in case you were beginning to think my mattresses are all about adult luxury, I’d like to point out they are made by a company that started out as an organic crib mattress company…
Babies and toddlers spend up to 14 hours a day sleeping and playing on a crib mattress or nap pad. Make sure you are confident about the mattress they sleep on.
Our infant and kids mattresses provide the right kind of support for growing bodies and are:
- Certified organic and non-toxic to the Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS)
- Made without latex, wool, or known allergenic materials
- Waterproof (with waterproofing option)
- Made without flame retardant chemicals or phthalates
- Tested and certified for chemical emissions to the GREENGUARD Gold standard
The Organic Infant-Toddler Mattress That Grows With Your Child
Imagine having a mattress that can change with your child’s growth and development…
That’s what you get with the Dr. Mercola Healthy Home 2-in-1 Organic Cotton Ultra Crib 2-Stage Mattress! It’s like having two mattresses in one!
- First, start your infant or training toddler on the waterproof side:
- Organic cotton fabric with easy-to-clean food grade polyethylene waterproof surface
- Stain resistant
- Extra strong for long lasting durability
- Natural color finish
- Next, when your child is ready, flip the mattress over to the cushion firm toddler side:
- Luxuriously quilted organic cotton fabric for a more mature mattress feel
- Perfect for older children and daybeds
- For full waterproofing, add a Waterproof Organic Protector Pad
Inside the 2-in-1 Organic Cotton Ultra Crib 2-Stage Mattress, you’ll find the purest organic cotton. Our manufacturer uses only US grown and certified organic cotton as filling for its mattresses and buys directly from USDA certified sources.
You get purity and organic reliability while you support US farmers. A true win-win for all!
This mattress’s firm flat surface provides ideal support that complies with pediatrician firmness recommendations. You get a premium 252 coil innerspring and heavy-duty edge support.
Light in Weight, Heavy in Strength and Durability
Now you can get the best of both worlds – a firm and durable mattress for baby and easy crib changings for Mom!
The Lightweight Organic Cotton Classic 2-Stage Crib Mattress matches the strength and durability of an innerspring without the added weight. Weighing just about 12 pounds, you get:
- Layers of luxurious organic cotton batting for firmness and comfort
- Organic cotton fabric with easy-to-clean polyethylene waterproof surface
- Firm comfortable support with Wavesupport™, made from pure food-grade polyethylene. Rivals the finest innersprings and premium foams for structural stability and strength
- Seamless waterproof edges for a contemporary look, cleanliness, and durability
- Built-in dust mite and bed bug barrier, with no wool or latex for allergy concerns
This two-stage crib mattress grows with your child, providing a slightly firmer side for infants and a softer side for toddlers.
For Perfect Crib Waterproof Protection…
For waterproofing, add a Waterproof Organic Protector Pad to any quilted toddler mattress. This extra soft and highly absorptive pad has a double layer of organic cotton flannel with an ultra-thin waterproof barrier in the center.
Dr. Mercola’s Healthy Home Organic Cotton Waterproof Crib Pad:
- Helps block dust mites and other allergens
- Contains NO vinyl, PVC or phthalates
- Is machine washable and dryable
Protect your investment with an Organic Cotton Waterproof Crib Pad today!
Kids’ Needs Are Different, And So Are Their Beds
A mattress certified non-toxic and made without known allergenic materials that’s specifically designed for your child sets the stage to help him or her grow into a healthy young adult.
My Twin-Size Organic Cotton 2-in-1 Ultra and Quilted Mattresses offer your growing child a healthy sleep environment that:
- Is certified organic AND non-toxic to the GOTS standard
- Meets the emission standards of GREENGUARD Gold
- Provides waterproofing on one mattress panel and a more adult-type quilted panel on the other side
- Is made without known allergenic materials
- Provides proper support for his developing body
- Meets flammability requirements without any flame retardant chemicals
The Organic Cotton 2-in-1 Ultra Kids Mattress is highly versatile, combining waterproof and quilted sides for an ideal children's mattress.
Use the waterproof side when your toddler first comes out of the crib and while he or she is potty training.
When your child gets older, simply flip the mattress over for a more luxurious and comfortable “grown up” feel.
Both sides are identical in materials and quality to the Organic Cotton 2-in-1 Crib Mattresses.
What Exactly Is In a Dr. Mercola’s Healthy Home Organic Mattress?
I promise you… you won’t get a blank stare when you ask us what’s in our mattresses.
Nor am I going to tell you it’s a secret formula!
Here’s exactly what you get when you invest in a Healthy Home Mattress made by Naturepedic®:
- Certified Organic Cotton grown without synthetic pesticides, fertilizers, or GMOs. Our manufacturer uses only US grown and certified organic cotton filling.
- Wool to wick away moisture, keep you warm in the winter and cool in the summer, and to provide natural fire protection.
- Organic Latex (unless you’re ordering a Latex-free mattress) – Our manufacturer uses only quality latex foam from reputable organic suppliers certified to the Global Organic Latex Standard (GOLS).
- PLA Also known as polylactide, PLA is derived from plants. Our PLA is made from GMO-free potatoes and meets standards for both GOTS and GREENGUARD Gold.
- Encased Coils for support and comfort. Steel coils are individually wrapped with non-GMO PLA and polyester to isolate movement and provide pressure point-relieving, body-contouring comfort.
- Fire Protection the Right Way using a unique design that uses better, non-flammable materials.
All mattresses pass federal flammability standards 1632 and 1633 without the use of chemical flame barriers or other flame-retardant chemicals.
And… What’s NOT in a Healthy Home Organic Mattress?
All of our bedding products are certified by GREENGUARD to their Gold Standard. GREENGUARD tests for thousands of toxic chemicals, including VOCs.
You also won’t find these commonly used conventional mattress materials in any of our mattresses, pillows or pads:
- NO Flame Retardants or Flame Retardant Barriers (including Boric Acid)
- NO Memory Foam or other forms of Polyurethane Foam
- NO Soybean or Biobased Foam (polyurethane foam with some soybean oil)
- NO Synthetic Latex
- NO Harmful Glues or Adhesives
- NO GMO cotton or other GMO fibers
Not only do all of our products completely avoid petrochemical foams, they are specifically tested for chemical emissions and certified to the strictest GREENGUARD Gold certification standards.
With a Healthy Home Organic Mattress, you won’t lose sleep wondering what’s inside!
Ready, Set, Go! Ordering Your Perfect Mattress - Made Simple!
It’s time to order! Pick your adult luxury mattress combo from the 6 choices below:
Organic latex mattress:
- Firm Mattress with Latex – A comfort layer of medium latex over a support layer of firm coils
- Cushion Firm Mattress with Latex – A comfort layer of soft latex over a support layer of firm coils
- Plush Mattress with Latex – A comfort layer of soft latex over a support layer of plush coils
Mattresses WITHOUT latex:
- Firm Mattress without Latex – A comfort layer of medium microcoils over a support layer of firm coils.
- Cushion Firm Mattress without Latex – A comfort layer of soft microcoils over a support layer of firm coils.
- Plush Mattress without Latex – A comfort layer of soft microcoils over a support layer of plush coils.
You can expect to receive your mattress in 5 separate boxes. While it may look like a big task to assemble, each part is clearly labeled for simple and speedy assembly. Do-it-yourself assembly typically is relatively quick with two people.
Our mattresses come with a generous 20-year limited warranty (see complete details below), and remember, we’ve taken the risk out of your purchase. If you’re not 100% satisfied with the feel of your mattress, you have 90 days to swap out your comfort level at no extra charge (pay only for shipping).
We know you’re going to be delighted with your new Healthy Home Organic Mattress. Every mattress is custom-made to your exact order, so don’t delay, order yours today!