According to the 2013 U.S. State Indicator Report on Fruits and Vegetables, American consumption of vegetables and fruits is actually decreasing.
The results from this most recent survey reveal…
- The median intake for American adults of fruit is 1.1 times a day and for vegetables, only 1.6 times daily.
- For American adolescents, the median intake of fruits is 1.0 times a day and for vegetables, only 1.3 times per day.
- 37.7% of adults, and 36% of adolescents report consuming fruits LESS than one time daily.
- 22.6% of adults, and 37.7% of adolescents report eating vegetables LESS than one time daily
I find these statistics alarming.
Even the U.S. Department of Agriculture urges everyone to fill half of every plate at meal times with fruits and vegetables.
There are many reasons why people don’t eat the recommended number of servings each day. And as you’ll soon see, just about all of these reasons can be easily overcome…
Fresh Organic Vegetables and Fruits – Are You Getting Enough?
Do you regularly consume five or more servings of vegetables and fruits each day?
Two of the most common reasons I hear for eating so few organic vegetables are availability and cost.
According to the 2013 report, farmer’s markets now exist in all 50 states. So, if you live in a town or city that sponsors one, you have the perfect opportunity to take advantage of abundant fresh, locally grown produce at a fair price.
Aside from growing your own vegetables, I consider farmer’s markets to be the absolute best source for obtaining fresh, local, organic vegetables.
Shopping at farmer’s markets is a win-win. You support small, local organic farmers who may be struggling to survive in the world of big, commercial food production.
In return, you get direct access to many varieties of in-season vegetables and fruits that are often grown organically and without pesticides and herbicides (but please confirm with the farmers from whom you purchase).
5 Simple Ways to Fit More Vegetables Into Your Day
Here are some tips to help make eating vegetables – preferably raw – an easier and tastier part of your life:
- Make them easy and quick to grab for snacks.
Wash carefully with a vegetable wash to help remove dirt and contaminants. Cut larger vegetables into ready-to-go, bite-size pieces. Store in your refrigerator in an airtight container.
- Make vegetables the focal part of your meal.
Rather than building your meal around meat or other protein foods, start with generous servings of leafy green and cruciferous vegetables. Fill at least half of your plate, and remember, potatoes don't count!
- Experiment with new recipes for raw vegetable salads and stir-fry.
Use your imagination and try new combinations or look up recipes online. An abundance of tested and reviewed recipes await you! Mashed ripe avocado makes a tasty and healthy dip for cut up raw vegetables.
- Make it a goal to try at least one new vegetable a week, and find creative ways to add it into your regular diet.
See something you don't recognize at your local farmer's market? Just ask. Growers are delighted to share preparation tips and may even provide a sample. As a general rule, the more colorful the vegetable, the higher the levels of antioxidants.
- Sign up for a vegetable cooking or raw food preparation course.
Many natural food grocery stores and co-ops offer free or low-cost cooking and raw food preparation courses. You'll return home with recipes and renewed enthusiasm. Or, look for classes and "how-to" articles online.
And here’s another way to load up on healthy vegetables…
Juicing: The Ultimate Way to Get Healthy Green Foods
One of the simplest – and increasingly popular – ways to pack multiple servings of healthy raw vegetables into your daily eating is to juice.
With freshly made juice, you increase your absorption of available nutrients (with the exception of fiber). Plus you can consume vegetables and green foods that you might not normally eat at meals.
My preferred type of juicer, known as a “masticating” juicer, easily processes green foods, such as wheat and barley grasses and leafy greens.
Because a masticating juicer operates at a low speed, it doesn’t heat up the juice and destroy fragile nutrients.
One of our favorite juicing recipes that we prepare in our kitchen here at the Mercola offices combines fresh organic celery, collard greens, kale, fennel, cucumbers, limes, and frozen unsweetened cranberries.
Other suggested vegetables for juicing include the “green” grasses, green cabbage, parsley, and spinach.
The Little-Known 'Green Superfood' Benefit
Before I share with you this little-known "green food" benefit, take just a minute and answer the following questions
- Do you drink any type of soda or carbonated water?
- Do you eat a high-protein diet?
- Do you eat a moderate amount of dairy foods, breads and grains?
- Do you eat processed or artificially sweetened foods and beverages?
- Do you use products containing soy and whey isolated proteins?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, you might be surprised to hear that eating green leafy foods might offer you some additional health benefits.*
Whenever your body digests food, it becomes either “acid-forming” or “alkaline-forming” and affects your body’s acid-base balance.
Your body’s acid-base (or pH) balance is very delicate and must remain within a narrow range for optimal health.
The typical American diet tends to be much more acid-forming with its large amounts of commercially produced meats, eggs and dairy, processed foods, breads, cereals, sweetened foods and beverages, and soft drinks.
Artificial sweeteners, breads, and cereals are extremely acid forming, but all of these acid foods can affect your body’s ability to maintain your pH within its optimal range.
Some nutritional experts recommend consuming at least 60 percent of your diet as alkaline foods, and the remaining 40 percent as acid foods.
“Green superfoods” can help provide balance to your acid foods.* A few of the top alkaline-forming foods include vegetables such as alfalfa, barley, wheat grasses, beets, broccoli, cabbage, kale, and spinach.
As for beverages, green tea is alkaline-forming, while, coffee, alcohol, black tea, and any type of soda are acid-forming.
Beyond Leafy Green Vegetables – The Power of 'Green' Superfoods
Leafy green foods are, as we've just seen, one key to promoting an optimal pH balance for your body.*
There’s a type of green food – cereal grasses – that you may be less familiar with than other greens like broccoli and spinach. But what grasses offer nutritionally is extraordinary.
Cereal grasses are the young grass stage of wheat, barley, alfalfa, and oat plants.
Cereal grasses have a long history of use. Use of barley dates back to 7000 BC, and ancient Asian and Middle Eastern cultures reportedly used young wheat and barley grasses in their everyday diets. Even gladiators were said to eat barley for strength and stamina.*
Starting in 1925, and for the next 30 years, scientists began taking a closer look at U.S. harvested cereal grasses in their dehydrated, whole food form.
The many nutritional benefits that emerged from these extensive studies were credited to the grasses’ supply of chlorophyll and vitamins.* The most important nutrients in cereal grasses were found to be:
- Phytopigments such as chlorophyll, phycocyanin, and carotenoids
- The plant sterol ester, beta-sitosterol
- Antioxidants such as superoxide dismutase and beta-carotene
- Vitamins B1, B2, B6, B12, pantothenic acid, and folic acid
- Potassium, calcium, iron, phosphorus, and magnesium
In my opinion, organic greens such as young wheat, barley, oat, and alfalfa grasses offer an outstanding source of nutrients that you might not normally get in your everyday diet.
My Green Superfood Supplement: One Easy Way to Get Some of the Nutritional Goodness of Abundant Green Leafy Foods – And More
You already know how passionate I am about consuming multiple servings of organic greens each day. At the same time, as ideal as it may sound, I realize consuming all those vegetables are a challenge for the majority of individuals.
After many years of research and development, my team and I have come up with what I consider a “green superfood supplement” for helping to increase your daily nutrient intake when you can’t get all of the vegetables and green leafy foods that are recommended.
I wanted a total solution to today’s less-than-optimal diets. I wanted a high-quality formula that would meet the following criteria:
- Quick and easy to use
- Easily taken with shakes, smoothies, and protein powder drinks
- Provide a simple way to get your nutrients with your protein
- No strong, unpleasant “green” taste
- Sweetened with organic stevia extract
- Include powdered forms of an assortment of organic vegetables plus organic cereal grasses from North America
- Contain two of my top green superfoods – Chlorella and Spirulina
- Provide an organic Mushroom Blend for immune support*
- Contain exceptional alkalizing extracts that provide antioxidant benefits, including one of Japan’s best kept secrets – Green Matcha – Apple, and Green Tea*
- Provide two of my favorite adaptogen ingredients – Maca Root and Rhodiola
- Contain no genetically modified ingredients.
I’m pleased to say we found all of this in my Organic Greens.
A Rainbow of Pigments from Fresh, Remote Waters
A few years back, a well-known organization for retired people helped bring spirulina into the spotlight by naming it the #1 superfood. Even the World Health Organization calls it a "superfood"...
Spirulina is an ancient food that was once a dietary staple of the Aztecs and other Mesoamericans. The nutritional benefits of this green superfood are well researched and documented.*
A single-celled organism, spirulina is a variety of fresh water blue-green algae similar to the sea vegetables dulse, kelp, nori, kombu, arame, and wakame.
Spirulina is a good source of protein.
Whole food spirulina contains essential fatty acids, vitamin B12, magnesium, calcium, selenium, zinc, and enzymes including Superoxide dismutase (SOD), all in a bio-available form.
Perhaps most important is spirulina's wide array of pigments. Spirulina's deep blue-green color comes from a rainbow of pigments that harvest the sun's energy at different wavelengths – green from chlorophyll, blue from phycocyanin, and yellow and orange from carotenoids.
Last but not least, spirulina is an alkaline food, and may help your body maintain an optimal acid-alkaline balance.*
Our organic spirulina comes from a quiet and remote area far away from any polluting industrial or agricultural activity. It's guaranteed to be:
- Low in heavy metals, yeast, and mold
- Grown without Chilean nitrate, manure, or synthetic minerals
- Non-GMO and non-irradiated
- Free from herbicides, pesticides, and ground water contamination
- Produced without harsh chemicals
- Grown with only herbal fertilizers and pure, artesian groundwater
Spirulina wasn't the only aqua "green" food we decided to add...
From the Pristine Waters off Hainan Island... 100% Organic Chlorella
Organic Broken Cell Wall Chlorella is a remarkable whole green superfood that's a source of chlorophyll.*
We source only broken cell wall chlorella so you can get the benefits of its nutrients. A unique process breaks open the plant’s cell wall for optimal bioavailability.
Our chlorella and spirulina come from the remote island of Hainan, a tropical island in the South China Sea.
Why Hainan Island? It has the best surface water quality in China.
The country’s largest and well-preserved intact tropical rain forest feeds the island’s hundreds of pristine natural springs.
Plus, we know the area is clean.
All industries on Hainan Island has strict environmental regulations to help keep the water clean, so you’re assured a product that’s low in heavy metals and bacteria.
Our spirulina and chlorella products are routinely tested for the presence of melamine, algal toxins, and heavy metals.
Treasured Mushrooms – A Natural Addition to My Organic Green Food Supplements
There's no doubt in my mind that mushrooms can support your health, so it was an easy decision to include 7 of the top varieties in my Organic Greens*:
- Niu-Chang (Antrodia camphorata)
- Shiitake (Lentinula edodes)
- Reishi (Ganoderma lucidum)
- Maitake (Grifola frondosa)
- Turkey Tail (Trametes versicolor)
- Cordyceps (Cordyceps militaris)
- Himematsutake (Agaricus blazei)
These mushrooms, some long-valued in China and Japan, contain bioactive beta-glucans and polysaccharides, amino acids, proteins, enzymes and antioxidants.* My blend contains some of the rarest and most bio-active mushrooms known to man.*
What Sets My Organic Mushroom Blend Apart
There are several additional points that set my Mushroom Blend apart from others on the market today.
- Grown and processed in the U.S.A., the mushroom blend in my Organic Greens is made from whole food mushrooms and mycelium (the mushrooms’ immense underground biomass), not from an extract like many other products.
- Our mushrooms are fermented and produced using a proprietary Solid State Fermentation (SSF) method. Carefully controlling the temperature at which they are dehydrated, the live enzymes, protein structure, and the many bioactivities of each mushroom species are preserved.
- Because our mushrooms are grown on an oat substrate rather than rice, the additional beta-glucans help enhance the mushrooms’ bioactivity.*
- Unlike some other mushroom products, particularly those produced outside of the US, ours are cultivated and grown in a toxin-free environment. Routinely tested, our mushrooms are free of dangerous levels of heavy metals.
As you can see, critical points of quality control stay totally in our supplier's hands, which help ensure a safe, wholesome product.
One of Japan's Best Kept Secrets – Revealed!
Tea is derived from the leaves of Camellia sinensis – a white-flowered evergreen. About 500 species of tea exist, but, in my opinion, the highest-quality teas come from Japan.
Our Green Matcha, a powdered green tea made from some of the finest, youngest leaves of Japan’s first harvesting days, has been long revered for its health benefits.*
Just to show how special it really is… Green Matcha tea holds an honorary spot in the sacred Japanese Tea Ceremony known as Chado.
The very best green tea is bright green in color – and Green Matcha fits the bill… The leaves are steamed and not roasted or pan-fried, so the tea's pleasing flavor and color are preserved without any bitterness.
The exclusive Green Matcha tea we’ve chosen for my Organic Greens is shade-grown and hand-harvested from the pristine tea plantations of Nishio, Japan.
All Nishio teas are laboratory tested to ensure they’re radiation-free and don’t have the toxic levels of metals found in teas grown near industrial development.
And of course, our Green Matcha tea is organic and circle K certified!
Two of My Favorite Organic Adaptogens
Adaptogens – those mysterious substances that support your body's adaptation to physical, chemical, and environmental stressors – are valued by athletes and non-athletes alike.*
Rhodiola rosea, or “golden root,” is a perennial plant and a true adaptogen. Its root has been widely studied and used in Russia and the Scandinavian countries for centuries.
A rainforest herb and member of the potato family, Maca root, provides a source of non-caffeinated energy.* Maca has been an important part of the native Peruvian diet for over 2,000 years.
A superfood rich in B vitamins, calcium, and magnesium, enzymes, beta-sitosterol, and all the essential amino acids, maca is considered an adaptogen, in that it helps support your body’s “master glands” – the hypothalamus and pituitary glands.*
Among the Hundreds of Green Food Supplements, What Makes Organic Greens So Unique?
There's no shortage of green food supplements on the market today, so the question becomes – Why choose Organic Greens?
- All ingredients are Certified Organic
- All ingredients are tested to confirm that they are non-GMO, including alfalfa
- All grasses are 100% North American grown and traceable to actual fields
- Contains 2 proprietary organic herbal blends in addition to the organic greens, vegetables, and a blend of 7 mushrooms
- No added fillers or inexpensive fiber sources added to “bulk up” the formula
- Antioxidant polyphenols from organic green matcha, green tea and apple extracts help neutralize free radicals
- Adaptogenic blend contains two prized botanical extracts, organic rhodiola and maca root
- And it tastes great – a fresh, light green tea flavor that blends perfectly with plain, vanilla, maple, or banana flavored protein powders. No strong green taste!
An Exclusive, Proprietary Green Superfood Supplement for Mercola.com Created By an Exceptional Quarter-of-a-Century-Old Company*
I didn't just contract with any formulator to create Organic Greens. I wanted an outstanding company that specialized in exceptional products. And that's what I found...
My Organic Greens is manufactured by a company that’s been in business for over 24 years. They take great pride in what they consider the backbone of their company: Quality.
What does that look like when it comes to our Organic Greens?
- Verification: Their supply source is well controlled and documented
- Traceability: Their organically grown greens are not mixed together so they can be traced to actual farms and fields
- Sustainability: From raw material cultivation and harvesting to processing and extraction, all steps of the process are under their careful control and dedicated to maintaining ecological balance
The product they have created for us is exclusive to Mercola.com. You won't find my Organic Greens anywhere else...
Jump on Board the 'Real' Green Superfood Revolution...
Perhaps you've tried other green food supplements, only to find them to be disappointing in taste and texture.
I invite you to try my Organic Greens for an entirely new green superfood experience. I know you’ll be pleasantly surprised when you discover its light, green tea taste.
And if you choose to mix Organic Greens with one of my protein powders, such as Pure Power Protein or Miracle Whey – which I recommend for a quick and easy way to get more greens into your diet – you’ll love how perfectly they blend together.
Most of all, you’re going to appreciate how simple it is to get the green foods, mushrooms, and herbal blends.*
With my Organic Greens, we’ve brought them together in the perfect balance and in a form that’s all ready for you to use.
Give my Organic Greens a try and see if you don’t agree...
Order yours today!