It seems like nearly everyone these days is searching for the latest, greatest way to boost their energy, fire up their brainpower and maintain their healthy weight.
So it doesn’t surprise me that more and more people are turning to medium-chain triglycerides, or MCTs.
Medium-chain triglycerides have become especially popular as the word spreads about the many benefits of nutritional ketosis, or when you successfully burn fat as your primary fuel instead of glucose from carbohydrates.
The use of MCT oil is fast becoming a leading trend among those wanting an extra “edge” to take control of their body andbrain health.
But make no mistake… MCT oils aren’t all created equal and many people may not be getting the full effects they expect.
When you use the right kind of MCT oil, I’m convinced that you can reap profound benefits. I’m living proof as I use it daily.
Making Sense of Medium-Chain Triglycerides
Medium-chain triglycerides, or MCTs, are a special type of fat that get their name from their chemical structure, or their length or chain of carbon molecules.
They’re mostly extracted from coconuts, coconut oil and palm kernel oil, but small amounts of MCTs can be found in grass-fed butter and other dairy products.
There are four types of MCTs ranging from 6 to 12 carbons long:
- C6: Caproic acid – Converts to ketones, or fuel, quickly but tends to cause digestive issues and smells and tastes unpleasant, even after processing.
- C8: Caprylic acid – The most ideal MCT as it converts to ketones within minutes and is odorless, flavorless and may be easier on your digestive tract. C8 is the most valued and most expensive MCT. It’s also the rarest type.
- C10: Capric acid – Less efficient than C8 in converting to ketones in your liver, and because it is much more common than C8, it is less expensive to produce. This is the type of MCT found in most commercial brands.
- C12: Lauric acid – Very abundant in coconut oil, but lauric acid doesn’t really function as a true MCT. Behaving more like a long-chain fatty acid, C12 is more difficult for your liver to absorb and break down into ketones.
As a general rule, shorter-chained MCTs are more readily converted into ketones, which are energy molecules that are created by your liver from fats.
Ketones are the ideal fuel for your cells’ mitochondria because they burn cleanly and produce far less reactive oxygen species (ROS) that damage your cells and promote aging.
Ketones are also your best friend when it comes to cravings and unwanted hunger pangs… They help suppress ghrelin – or your “hunger hormone” – and enhance another hormone that signals your brain when you're full.
Why Coconut Oil Isn’t the Same Thing as MCT Oil
Some people believe that coconut oil and MCT oil are interchangeable.
They’re not – they’re very different.
While MCT oil is derived from coconuts, it’s not the same thing as coconut oil.
MCT oil is far more concentrated in medium-chain fatty acids. Coconut oil contains only about 14 percent MCTs.
While we don’t typically rely on coconut oil just for its MCT content, there are plenty of other very good reasons to add coconut oil to your diet.
Coconut oil is a terrific source of high-quality fat, especially lauric acid. Your body converts lauric acid into monolaurin that offers many protective and health-promoting properties.
I encourage the regular use of coconut oil, especially for high fat and low carbohydrate diets. While it may not be as effective as MCT oil for an energy boost, it is a great hunger-buster and a quick and easy way to get fat calories.
Plus, coconut oil is one of the most resistant oils to high-temperature stir-frying, unlike olive and some other popular oils.
Because coconut oil is so versatile with over a hundred different uses, I encourage you to learn more about it on my site.
You’ll find two exceptional coconut oil products in my online store: Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil for cooking, eating and beauty use, and my Coconut Oil Oral Rinse (with MCTs!) for your oral care.
What Else Makes C8 MCT Oil so Special?
Even though it costs more and is relatively hard to find, my personal preference is C8 or caprylic acid as it converts to ketones far more rapidly than the others, is flavorless and odorless, and may be easier on your digestion.
That’s why I’ve decided to make Caprylic Acid MCT Oil available to you… My Pure Power Ketone Energy is made up of 95% C8 MCTs!
Here’s what’s unique about my Ketone Energy Caprylic Acid MCT Oil, as compared to other types of fats and even some other so-called MCTs:
- Bypasses normal digestive processes and crosses your intestinal membrane directly to your liver to be used as a clean-burning fuel for your entire body and brain*
- Because of its water-solubility, it crosses your blood-brain barrier to provide your brain tissue with fuel, unlike other types of fat*
- Is a great way to get extra fat, and because it is completely odorless and flavorless, and actually enhances flavor, you can add it to foods and beverages for extra fat calories
- Because of its rapid conversion to energy, it helps squelch hunger pangs, and boosts satiety and satisfaction when following a ketogenic diet*
Most commercial brands of MCT oil are usually 50/50 combinations of C8 and C10 fats. Some contain very little C8 as it is the most expensive MCT fat.
My Pure Power Ketone Energy is 95% Caprylic Acid C8 MCT Oil and:
- Contains no trans fatty acids
- Contains NO genetically engineered ingredients
My Favorite Way to Use Pure Power Ketone Energy
While many people enjoy using caprylic acid MCT oil in their smoothies, food or even their coffee for its potential brain benefits, I like to use it to support my low-carbohydrate, high-fat program that I call Mitochondrial Metabolic Therapy, or MMT.
MMT is a system of eating that I introduce in my upcoming book in May 2017, Fat for Fuel, which addresses how to optimize your mitochondrial health for total body well-being.
My Ketone Energy MCT oil plays an essential role in my plan – and ketogenic diets as a whole – by helping you switch over to fat-burning more quickly.
By using fat as your primary energy source instead of carbohydrates, you shift your metabolism from burning glucose as your primary fuel to burning fat instead.
When this happens, you can potentially:
- Optimize your mitochondrial function*
- Activate your body’s ability to burn body fat*
- Help your metabolism run more efficiently*
- Enjoy long-lasting energy and stamina*
- Improve your athletic performance*
- Focus and think more clearly*
You achieve nutritional ketosis by following a ketogenic or low net carb (total carbs minus fiber) diet that’s high in healthy fats and moderate in high-quality protein. Ketone Energy can help you get enough healthy fats.
While achieving ketosis can be challenging for some, my Ketone Energy MCT Oil can help you get there faster and maintain your state of nutritional ketosis.
How Ketone Energy Can Help Improve Your Mental Clarity and Cognitive Function*
This could be the most exciting discovery yet about C8 MCT oil…
As I pointed out earlier, the caprylic acid MCTs in my Ketone Energy go directly to your liver and bypass your normal digestive processes, including bile and pancreatic enzymes. Your liver converts the MCT oil into ketones.
The ketones are then released back into your bloodstream where they are transported to your brain and throughout your body for fuel.
Because the MCTs in Ketone Energy are water-soluble, they have the unique ability to pass through your blood-brain barrier to supply your brain with energy. Other fats cannot do this.
Researchers have discovered that ketones are the preferred source of energy for your brain in general, but especially for those patients most at risk of cognitive decline.
It appears that the introduction of ketones into the brain can help rescue brain cells that have lost their ability to utilize glucose efficiently.*
Improved cognitive function and mental clarity are among the first things people notice when they enter nutritional ketosis – and that was true for me as well!
The Argument (or Not) for ‘Exogenous’ Ketone Salts or Ketone Ester Supplements
When you keep net carbs low, your body gradually switches to burning fat for fuel and your liver begins to convert fat into ketone bodies. This is called endogenous ketone production, meaning that your body makes them from your fat stores or from the fats in your diet.
Some people, especially many endurance athletes, like to boost their levels of ketones by taking them in supplement form.
Is this really a good idea?
The ketone salts or esters that you can buy in a package are called “exogenous ketones.” They’re made in a lab and not in your body.
There are two types, ketone salts and ketone esters. They are both expensive but the esters are really pricey. As of 2017, esters are not yet commercially available.
But the real problem is that they are also unlikely to be as beneficial as you expect, unless you are following a low net carb diet.
Also while they may work well to enhance exercise performance quite dramatically, the effects rapidly wear off if used continuously.
Here are my general recommendations about exogenous ketone salts and esters:
Once you have achieved nutritional ketosis, then you can use a high-quality caprylic acid MCT oil like Pure Power Ketone Energy, to help generate even more ketones. I don’t typically advise using ketone salts or the far more potent ketone esters.
Additionally, my Ketone Energy Caprylic Acid MCT Oil costs far less than ketone salts or esters!
Creative Ways to Use Ketone Energy – How Will YOU Use It?
Because Ketone Energy is absolutely tasteless and odorless, you can add it to foods and beverages
- Create a steaming cup of Pure Power Coffee by blending together my Organic Whole Bean Coffee, Ketone Energy and a pat of grass-fed butter
- Add Ketone Energy to smoothies, fresh-squeezed vegetable juice or your favorite Mercola Protein Powder Shake
- Drizzle Ketone Energy onto sushi, salads, pasta or any dish – chefs claim it enhances flavor!
You can cook with Ketone Energy too – just don’t expose it to temperatures above 325 degrees F.
Once you start experimenting, you’ll find endless and delicious uses for Ketone Energy!
Are You Ready to Take the Ketone Energy Plunge?
Please understand that while Ketone Energy, in no way shape or form, is a “magic bullet” for weight loss, it is, however, an excellent addition to a healthy whole food diet.
And I believe my Ketone Energy Caprylic Acid MCT Oil offers exceptional value for 4 out of 5 adults.
In case you are still questioning if it’s right for you, let me summarize who I think can most benefit from adding C8 MCTs to their daily diet.
If you’d like to…
- Nourish and optimize your mitochondria for total body health*
- Help reach nutritional ketosis faster and without excess cravings*
- Support your ketogenic lifestyle
- Boost your memory, focus and cognitive function*
- Have long-lasting energy that won’t be stored as body fat*
- Feel more energetic with greater endurance and stamina*
- Improve your athletic performance*
- Turn on your body’s ability to burn fat instead of glucose*
…Then the answer is “yes”, Ketone Energy is for you!
Discover the difference that Ketone Energy can make in your life. You have nothing to lose – your purchase is risk-free if you are not completely satisfied (please see full details below for my Lifetime Satisfaction Guarantee).
Order your supply of Ketone Energy today!