Most everyone realizes that to fully appreciate all life has to offer you want healthy joints that are comfortable and flexible.* Healthy joints make it more enjoyable to play ball with your grandson… go for a walk with your wife (or husband)… play golf.
Fun stuff… The “stuff” of which memories are made.
Millions of Americans of all ages realize they could use additional support to help promote joint flexibility* – in order to help maximize their opportunities to be an integral part of their families and community.
What strategies can you use to help keep your joints healthy and flexible?*
- Exercise. There's a common urban legend that exercise is bad for your joints.
Most people have little appreciation for how powerful exercise can be in supporting joint function. Vigorous low-impact exercise is beneficial – for your joints, as well as for cardiovascular, pulmonary, and other systems in your body.
It's simply a myth that you can "wear down" your knees just from average levels of exercise – and/or normal activity. In fact, inactivity causes your muscles to become weaker and actually works against optimal joint flexibility and comfort.
One caution, however, when using this valuable tool, you need to start slowly if you have not been exercising regularly, and build up to higher activity levels otherwise you risk incurring an injury that could really set you back..
If typical vigorous exercise is not easy for you, try walking, tai chi, and yoga… as they are very low impact, yet offer many health benefits.
- Achieve your optimal weight to improve your bio-mechanic function.
One of the outstanding benefits of exercise is its ability to help you achieve and maintain your ideal weight – which is highly beneficial to your joints.
Overweight and obese people compromise joint comfort more than those who are carrying their ideal load. Each additional kilogram (2.2 pounds) of body mass increases the compressive load over your knee by roughly 4 kilograms (nearly nine pounds).
Research shows that a weight loss of as little as 11 pounds can have a positive effect on joint function. And those who are at their optimal weight experience increased joint health as compared to those who are obese or overweight.
So you go full circle – losing weight reduces the load on your joints and makes it easier to exercise, and exercising helps you lose weight and supports your joint health.
- Eat a higher quality diet.
Eliminate sugar and starchy carbs from your diet. And definitely stop drinking soda. These foods do absolutely nothing to support healthy joints or a healthy body. In fact, their potential for damage is well documented.
I believe you should limit your total fructose from ALL sources to no more than 25 grams per day, as it raises uric acid levels, which is hard on your joints. Now, chances are, you consume substantially more than 25 grams per day. Approximately ¼ of Americans consume a whopping 134 grams of fructose every day!
Within your 25 grams of fructose, you could consider including some tart cherries or concentrated tart cherry juice. They contain anthocyanins and bioflavonoids, which help support a healthy immune response for your joints and whole body health.
Also, in my opinion, you should base your food choices on your nutritional type to ensure you optimize your ideal macronutrient ratios.
- Optimize your vitamin D levels.
Vitamin D also supports a healthy immune response. Please recognize that during the fall, winter, and early spring in most of the U.S., Canada, and Europe, your vitamin D levels can drop precipitously. If your levels fall, you give up the support this vitamin offers for your joints and your whole body.
- Get plenty of omega-3 fatty acids from krill or high-quality fish oil. Omega-3s support your joint health.
- Try EFT – Emotional Freedom Techniques. EFT is an energy psychology tool that uses tapping and acupuncture meridians to help resolve the emotional factors that contribute to less-than-optimal health.
If you’re already using the above six strategies, and still want additional support for your joints, consider using a “joint-specific” supplement.* I’ll talk about the one I recommend in a moment.
But first, allow me to discuss the joint support supplement everyone talks about – which many believe is not effective.
What You Should Know About Glucosamine and Chondroitin
For the past decade, people have been rushing on board the glucosamine and chondroitin train for joint care.
Yet, many are unhappy with it, or experience health problems from it.
Eight Reasons Glucosamine and Chondroitin May Not Be for You…
- Many people do not believe it “works” for them. It can take a while to build up enough for people to see a direct benefit from it. I believe it’s quite possible that some people give up before reaching that point.
- The pills are very large and many may find them difficult to swallow – and you are often required to take large numbers of them every day. In all likelihood, those factors lead to non-compliance (not taking them).
- Only a small fraction of the glucosamine you take is actually utilized by your body. In the case of pills and capsules, the studies demonstrate that only about 15% to 20% is absorbed.
- Much of the glucosamine on the market is derived from shellfish, specifically crab, lobster, and shrimp shells – a common allergen. Obviously, you should avoid glucosamine if you’re allergic to shellfish.
- The long-awaited NIH trials on glucosamine showed disappointing results. There were no significant differences between glucosamine alone, chondroitin alone, or the two combined, when tested against placebo.
- While generally considered to be free of side effects, some people do experience gastro-intestinal upset from it. Chondroitin molecules are large, making it difficult for your body to digest, which could be what causes problems for some people.
- It’s not clear, even after many studies, whether glucosamine affects blood sugar levels. In my opinion, people with diabetes or hypoglycemia should be cautious about taking glucosamine, and should carefully monitor their blood sugar levels if taking it.
- Glucosamine, when taken in potassium salt form, can lead to an unnecessary salt burden, in my opinion.
The Joint Formula Many of You Have Asked For…
These problems with glucosamine and chondroitin, and the number of people wanting new options for joint support, compelled me and my team to develop a product that was effective, and that gave you easier to swallow, non-allergenic bioavailable ingredients.*
This patent pending formula specifically avoids the use of chondroitin, glucosamine, and MSM.
Mercola Joint Formula* offers a comprehensive alternative to chondroitin- and glucosamine-based products for joint health in a small, easy to swallow, once-a-day hard shell dosage form.*
Mercola Joint Formula* is designed to provide both short- and long-term support of joint health featuring four joint health ingredients* –
- BiovaFlex® Water-Soluble Egg Shell Membrane
- Zanthin® Astaxanthin
- Hyaluronic acid (HA)
These four ingredients are designed to help support healthy mobile joints.*
What can they do for your joint health?
You’ve probably never heard of BiovaFlex® -- so we’ll start there.
What Is BiovaFlex®?
BiovaFlex® contains elastin, collagen, and glycosaminoglycans, designed to support the stability and flexibility of your joints.*
BiovaFlex® offers you all the nutrients contained within eggshell membrane. The eggshell membrane is the unique protective barrier between the egg white and the mineralized egg shell.
Open lab trials have shown that the ingredient alone produces positive results, including support for functional flexibility in as little as two weeks. BiovaFlex® is the first and only water-soluble eggshell membrane ingredient made in the USA.
BiovaFlex® is nature’s own formulation of joint nutrients – as found in eggshell membranes. As a dietary ingredient, it offers a number of nutritional building blocks to help support joint health.*
What Does BiovaFlex® Do?
As part of Mercola Joint Formula*, BiovaFlex® helps:*
- Support joint mobility, flexibility and function*
- Support a wide range of motion*
- Support a healthy immune response*
- Provide antioxidants that reduce free radicals for healthy joints*
- Provide joints with the building blocks needed to build cartilage for healthy joint function*
What's in Eggshell Membrane?
Here’s what’s contained in eggshell membrane:
- Collagen – A fibrous protein that supports cartilage and connective tissue strength and elasticity.*
- Elastin – A protein that supports skin, cardiovascular, cartilage, and spinal health.* As its name implies, elastin gives tissue its elasticity and the ability to resume its shape after stretching.*
- Desmosine and isodesmosine – Two virtually unknown amino acids responsible for elastin’s elastic or rubbery properties.*
- Glycosaminoglycans (GAGs) – Small amounts of glucosamine, chondroitin, and hyaluronic acid – vital polysaccharides that are structural components of your connective tissue, interstitial fluids, and skeletal structure.*
- Transforming growth factor-b - A protein that supports tissue rejuvenation, cellular differentiation, and immune function.*
Direct research and a thorough review of published scientific literature showed no suggestions of possible concern about the safety or tolerability of eggshell membrane – the origin of BiovaFlex®.
The “eggshell” is obtained from “egg breaking” facilities. Biova™ captures these totally raw materials and uses a patented mechanical process to separate the egg membrane from the shell.
The concentrated membrane is further processed using Biova’s patent pending proprietary Hydro5™ process. This breaks the egg protein down into its constituents, which are more easily assimilated. The resulting product is Ovacore™ (and the dietary supplement-grade BiovaFlex®).
This process was developed at a facility at a major Midwest university– and makes the membrane’s components nutritionally available, measureable, and water-soluble.
It should be noted that this eggshell product is a very “clean” product. It comes from eggs sourced in Iowa.
More importantly, the manufacturer assures me that salmonella is virtually impossible in this product… because the hydrolysis process sterilizes it.
Another side of the safety equation is allergies. Although eggs can be an allergen, that’s more commonly true when injected, as in vaccines. A RAST-Inhibition test showed that “it is highly unlikely that eggshell membrane would present any risk to egg allergic individuals…”
Adding the Astaxanthin Factor…
Astaxanthin is a fat-soluble carotenoid with a unique molecular structure. It is similar in structure to beta-carotene, a pigment found in green vegetables. Astaxanthin is one of the most powerful lipophilic antioxidants yet discovered and is the most abundant carotenoid pigment found in crabs, salmon, trout, shrimp, and krill. It’s the substance that gives salmon its pink color.
You can thank the lobster for the discovery of astaxanthin. Researchers working with an extract of the lobster Homarus astacus first characterized astaxanthin in 1938. It was soon discovered that astaxanthin is abundant in nature, albeit mostly in very low concentrations.
Astaxanthin embeds itself in cellular membranes. It is unique among carotenoids because it traps free radicals at both ends of the molecule.* Once trapped, free radicals are passed into cellular fluids where they become neutralized by vitamin C.
Ten Times Stronger Than Other Antioxidants
- It is one of the most powerful biological antioxidants known and shows strong free radical scavenging activity.* It functions within your cells, and has nearly 550 times stronger singlet oxygen quenching than vitamin E and has greater ability to support immune function than vitamin E. In other words, astaxanthin is 550 times more effective at scavenging free radicals than vitamin E.
- Studies comparing astaxanthin to other carotenoids have shown that it possesses antioxidant activity up to 10 times stronger than that of beta-carotene, canthaxanthin, lutein, and zeaxanthin.
Protects Against Oxidation*
- Not only is astaxanthin a powerful free radical scavenger for your muscles, but it can also protect against oxidation, which limits the number of free radicals produced by your body.*
- A study published in 1990 conducted by Kurashige and associates compared the effectiveness of vitamin E and astaxanthin for preventing lipid peroxidation. The results showed that astaxanthin is 100-500 times more effective in preventing lipid peroxidation in vivo than vitamin E.
Quenching Singlet Oxygen Molecules
- Additionally, it’s very effective at quenching a molecule called singlet oxygen, a harmful reactive oxygen species formed through normal biological processes. Singlet oxygen possesses a high amount of excess energy that must be released to keep it from damaging other cells. Astaxanthin absorbs this energy and dissipates it as heat, thereby returning the singlet oxygen to a grounded state.
- Because of its unique biochemistry, I believe that astaxanthin should be considered a valuable component in every antioxidant formulation. It is sometimes referred to as a “booster” for common antioxidants like vitamins A, C, and E.
- More importantly, astaxanthin’s chemistry can stop these antioxidants from becoming “pro-oxidants.”
Astaxanthin supports joint health and flexibility.* In studies, it helped:
- Support grip strength among tennis players*
- Support joint health and mobility after exercise*
- Support joint health and quicker recovery times for elite athletes after intense training and exercise*
- Support a healthy immune response*
The DeepExtract™ Process – More of What Nature Offers…
Let me describe to you just how we process the astaxanthin to help maximize all its benefits. The greatest source of astaxanthin is found in green algae called Haematococcus pluvialis, which also contains other carotenoids such as beta-carotene and lutein.
Mercola Joint Formula* supplies 2mg of this effective phytonutrient antioxidant and outstanding member of the carotenoid family.
The astaxanthin used for our product is Zanthin® supplied by one of the premier suppliers of high-quality astaxanthin. It is taken from Haematococcus pluvialis, the most abundant source yet discovered.
Once the tough cell wall of the algae is cracked open, it’s highly unstable, and must be extracted immediately. Our supplier uses a proprietary extraction process which yields:
- 85-90% astaxanthin
- 2% lutein
- 2% carotene
- 6% other carotenoids, including small amounts of canthaxanthin
The DeepExtract™ process creates a high-quality, stable product. Plus, their O2B™ Peroxidation Blocker stabilization technology ensures the long-term (24 months) stability and efficacy of your supplement.
DeepExtract™ offers gentle treatment of high-quality astaxanthin at much lower temperatures than those used in expeller press and certain chemical solvent extraction operations. And it’s done in the absence of oxygen – which reduces degradation and chemical changes in the product.
This supercritical CO2 process:
- Produces an extract untouched by chemical solvents
- Creates astaxanthin free of impurities and residues*
- Offers some of the highest efficacy profiles of any extracted products*
Our supplier shuns the use of preservatives in their efforts to stabilize their astaxanthin. Instead they use their proprietary O2B™ Peroxidation Blocker system, which:
- Is non-GMO
- Is designed to protect sensitive oils until they are consumed
- Combines botanicals to prevent unwanted chemical reactions
- Protects expensive and sensitive ingredients
- Extends the shelf-life of oils
No doubt about it, BiovaFlex® and Zanthin® provide a terrific base of support for your joints.*
But there’s more…
Ayurvedic Herb Used for Centuries…
Boswellia – or Indian frankincense – is an Ayurvedic herb used for centuries in India for joint support.*
It comes from the Boswellia serrata tree that grows in the dry hills of India. Traditionally, Indians have historically used the tree bark's gummy resin, called salai guggal, for joint health.*
Indian frankincense contains what scientists call boswellic acids, which can help promote a healthy immune response.* With sustained use, boswellia can help maintain steady blood flow to your joints… supporting your joint tissues’ ability to boost flexibility and strength.*
- The normal functioning of your body's connective tissues*
- The normal functioning of your joints*
- The normal flexibility of your body*
- A normal and comfortable range of motion*
And it has been used extensively in Ayurveda for joint support…*
And Last, But Not Least – Hyaluronic Acid…
Hyaluronic Acid (HA) is present in every tissue of your body. One of its most important biological functions is the retention of water… second only to providing nutrients and removing waste from cells that lack a direct blood supply, such as cartilage cells.
Cartilage is a specialized form of connective tissue, lending strength and flexibility to your body. A key component of your cartilage is Hyaluronic Acid.
Your joints are surrounded by a membrane called the synovial membrane, which forms a capsule around the ends of your bones. This membrane secretes a liquid called the synovial fluid into your joint cavities.
It serves as a lubricant, shock absorber and nutrient carrier. As a lubricant and shock absorber, it functions to protect your joints and bones during normal movement. Your cartilage is immersed in, and fed by, the synovial fluid… giving you an idea why it is so important to your joint health. Without HA, nutrients can’t move into these cells… and waste can’t be moved out.
Unfortunately, the process of normal aging reduces the amount of HA synthesized by your body. Oral hyaluronic acid supplementation may effectively help most people cushion their joints after just 2 to 4 months.
Hyaluronic acid side effects are rare and mild. If you’re allergic to chicken, consult your doctor before taking this product. And if mild stomach upset occurs when taken alone, take it with or after a meal.
To Top It Off… Support Your Active Lifestyle
Mercola Joint Formula* overcomes a chief objection to glucosamine and chondroitin supplements… the giant size of the pills.
Mercola Joint Formula* comes in a small, easy to swallow, once-a-day dosage – and it’s way smaller than your typical glucosamine and chondroitin pills.
You get four great ingredients which support your joint tissues to help promote flexibility, strength, stamina, mobility, and cushioning – which in turn supports your active lifestyle.*
An All-in-One High-Quality Joint Formula*
These four ingredients are combined into Mercola Joint Formula* – with a leading science-based developer and provider of high-quality supplements that come straight from nature
This manufacturer places strong emphasis on quality control procedures, which are more typical of the pharmaceutical industry than of the botanical extract business.
But I urge you to order today. I continue to see heavy demand for this product. And when you decide you want Mercola Joint Formula* to support your lifestyle, I hate to see you have to wait for a new shipment to arrive before receiving the benefits.*
3-months’ worth of Joint Formula* is just $52.97 – a mere 59¢ per day.
Order now - for the active lifestyle you treasure.*